I have a ton of jackets (two closets full, which is a little cray) that I love, but being in a climate where we have four distinct seasons it makes sense. Except when winter tends to be much longer than it should be and drowns out the milder times you wish you could wear all those lighter weight jackets.
This year, I discovered a way to wear the jackets that I love, despite them maybe not being ‘season appropriate’; layer them! Two jackets are much warmer than one and tend to be just as warm as my warmest jacket. Provided your jacket is slightly roomy, this method will work wonders and keep you warm without sacrificing style through the colder months.
How to do it:
1. Start with a smaller, snug but warm jacket for the under jacket. This one is an old Joe Fresh puffer; a warm leather jacket would work well too.
2. Grab your roomier jacket and throw it on over top.
3. Add your accessories (long gloves, a scarf, ear muffs, whatever!).
4. Zip or tie up your top jacket to hide your jacket underneath et voila! Warmth & style.
* Tip: if you can belt your coat to cinch your waist, it helps define your body under all the layers (but not imperative).
(Black bomber is Joe Fresh & herringbone coat with fur is Forever 21; both old)