I love pancakes but after reading that they are the ‘black hole of breakfast food‘ once in a magazine, I was slightly turned off. Not that I can’t indulge every now and again (I have been known to indulge far too often to begin with!) but that phrase (sadly) really stuck with me.
I found a healthier way to make pancakes and have been pretty obsessed with them ever since. I tweaked the recipe which also called for some sugar and salt, by completely removing them, and it’s fine (and healthier). Whenever I have fresh fruit, I love to throw that in too.
You will need:
1 Cup Whole wheat flour
1 Cup Milk
1 tbsp. Baking Powder
Strawberries (as many as you’d like, I used half a pint)
1. Mix the first four ingredients
2. Once blended, add the strawberries
3. Heat frying pan and throw in some butter so the ‘cakes won’t stick
4. Pour pancake mix into pan (I like making 3 at a time)
5. Flip when the bottom is browned or the top starts to bubble a bit
6. When both sides are browned, they are ready
7. Serve with real maple syrup
Regular (left) & Whole wheat (right)